Thursday, September 16, 2010

Lullabies and happy music

I'm trying to make a playlist of music for baby. I have this thing called a Lullabelly - it's like a soft belt with speakers in it, I can hook my mp3 player up to it and it plays music to my belly. Apparently the little one is able to hear by now (although she won't start 'active listening' until 24 weeks).

So I'm trying to make a playlist - music that is good for little ears, that I can stand for pregnancy and beyond (since babies can recognize music they've often heard in the womb). It's hard. My husband wants to go classical, but I've read that the "Mozart Effect" has been disputed - and only really lasted for 15 minutes after exposure to the music.

Not that I have anything against classical music (I used to play oboe in a community orchestra and can certainly appreciate it), I just would rather listen to something that I can sing along to. So... help me out. Here's what I've got so far:

Sleepy/night music
Merman - Tori Amos
St. Judy's Comet - Paul Simon
Lullaby - Dixie Chicks

Happy/day music
Velvet Pony - Psapp
Wake Up - The Ditty Bops
I'm Into Something Good - The Bird and the Bee
Was a Sunny Day - Paul Simon

I'm not a huge fan of traditional kids' music. I know several artists have done contemporary versions, but so far I haven't heard any I like. Jewel's Lullaby cd, for instance, makes me cringe (and I like some of her music).

If you have any recommendations for me, give 'er! Thanks!

5 comments:

  1. I like Billy Joel's Lullaby (Goodnight My Angel)

    I'm right there with you on traditional kid's music. It's pretty annoying. My kids listen to Phil Collins. lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No suggestions at all but wanted to share that my babies always liked orchestra music. At our church, in addition to the piano and organ we usually have between 6-12 instruments (sax, trumpet, flute etc.) playing as well. Whenever they would start playing, both John and Chloe would start rolling, kicking and making my belly rock! It was hilarious (and amazing!) to feel AND WATCH it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have to have some Raffi! Love him. My friend's daughter loves Jack Johnson. I also love Jonie Mitchel. I say go with what you love.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How about Lullaby and Goodnight? Here is the link: http://www.lullabycd.net/ And remember the voice your child will love the most (and hear most clearly while in the womb) is yours! Happy singing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have you seen the HUSHABYE BABY Lullaby Renditions of Country Music Favorites?

    Country is not really my thing, but you look at the different albums (Johnny Cash, Carrie Underwood, Garth Brooks, etc... - there's even a new one featuring songs from Taylor Swift) and listen to some samples of the music on their site:
    http://www.hushabyebabymusic.com/web/page.asp?pgs=products

    ReplyDelete

Hey, why not leave a comment? I'd love to hear what you think. If you're entering a giveaway, be sure to leave your email address if it's not set to public in your profile!