Monday, June 8, 2009

Better than Twilight

So I read the Twilight book - the first one. That was enough. I just didn't like it. I think it's all hype. To be fair I also gave Meyer's The Host a shot. Yeah, I'm sticking with my initial response to her work. Maybe because it's geared more towards the YA market, her writing just doesn't have enough depth for my taste. So I tried to think of some authors that I think are better than Stephanie Meyer in the same sort of supernatural category.

First one that comes to mind is Charlaine Harris. You know the True Blood series on tv? That's based on her books. I highly recommend her Sookie Stackhouse series if you're into vampire novels. It's funny, doesn't talk down to the reader, the characters are well-developed. The supernaturals in her series include shapeshifters and the very likeable Sookie is a telepath.

Another author I like is Kelley Armstrong. I've been working my way through her
Women of the Otherworld series chronologically. She's also a Canadian author, based in Ontario, and Canadian readers will recognize Toronto in some of the earlier books, before her characters move to the States. I am really enjoying her series and sad that after reading the books in sequence one after another, I'm at the point where I'll have to wait for the next one to come out.

One more author recommendation for people who like vampires or faeries - Laurell K. Hamilton. These are definitely adult books! She doesn't shy away from writing about sex. The stories are intricate and interesting. She's created an entire and detailed fictional society in the two series I've read, the Meredith Gentry series (faeries) and the Anita Blake series (vampires). The only thing I find a little monotonous about her work is the constant explanations. You'll know what I mean if you read a few of them. But I do recommend trying her books out.

I read about 3-5 books a week and would be thrilled to hear about it if there's an author you think I should be reading. My main fare is murder mysteries, but I do enjoy a good supernatural book as well!

Okay, now on to the giveaways I have come across for today.

For baby:
  • Win a $30 gift certificate to Tiny Soles baby shoe store at My Organized Chaos! Ends June 17th.
  • Win a $100 gift certificate to Baby Half Off on their new blog! Just tell them two brands you'd love to see on Baby Half Off. Ends June 14th.
  • Win a Bumkins organics basket at MomStart! It includes a hooded towel, washcloth bouquet, bib and burp cloths. Ends June 22nd.
  • Win a $25 gift certificate to The Children's Place at Life Starring the Kids & Me! Ends June 19th.
  • Win a Smartipants cloth diaper at Mama B's! Ends June 19th.
  • Win a Rock the Tote diaper bag by Baby Star at Sandier Pastures! Ends June 12th.
  • Win a Grape woven Rufflebutt (you choose the size - 3-6 months up to 2T) at My Organized Chaos! These are so, so cute. Ends June 17th.
For toddler:
  • Win a buckwheat toddler pillow at True Cuddles! Must be a subscriber. Ends June 14th.
For the ladies:
For the men:
  • Win a Body Shop prize pack which includes Of a Man Hair & Body Wash, Maca Root Shave Cream, Of a Man Aftershave Balm, & a Wooden Shave Brush at Frugal Mommy of 2 Girls! Ends June 13th.
For anyone:

1 comment:

  1. You should try the Half Way to The Grave series by Jeaniene Frost. It is about vampires and other supernatural things. There are 3 books out now and I think there will be six total.I'm hooked!

    ReplyDelete

Hey, why not leave a comment? I'd love to hear what you think. If you're entering a giveaway, be sure to leave your email address if it's not set to public in your profile!